About the Tremont Fire Department
The Tremont Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated in 1949
by a private group of volunteers who were charged with
protecting all property from fire and with assisting in other emergencies.
It initially relied on various fundraising projects for its income but now is supported with significant funding by the Town.
The department has two fire houses, one in Bass Harbor and one in Seal Cove.
Even though the original sirens are still on the roofs of the firehouses,
the Department now communicates using UHF radios.
Its calls are handled by the Southwest Harbor Police Department dispatchers.
The Department serves the Town of Tremont,
located on the West side of Mount Desert Island
and comprised of the villages of Bass Harbor, Bernard, West Tremont, Seal Cove, and Gotts Island.
Through mutual aid agreements,
the department may also assist other towns on the island: Southwest Harbor, Mount Desert, and Bar Harbor.
The town has a total area of about 52 square miles with 35 square miles of this being water.
The town also includes about 3000 acres (4.7 square miles) of the Acadia National Park.
Tremont's full-time population is about 1800,
growing to approximately 4000 in the summer.